Search our store by topic, author, word or phrase:
Article Updated February 15, 2005
Family Tree Maker Tips, Hints & FAQs:
By: Rick Roberts, Biography & Archived Articles
Buy Family Tree Maker |
More FTM Tips & FAQs
Selecting/Changing child's relationship to parents
One of the most frequently asked tech questions regarding FTM 2005 (version 12 and newer) is how to change the relationship between a child and parents. In earlier versions that change was made by clicking on the FACTS button for the individual, then click on LINEAGE. That process has been simplified and improved.
Beginning with Family Tree Maker 2005, you can indicate the relationship between parents and children, e.g., adopted, foster child, a step-child, etc. This is especially helpful if you want to associate a child with two sets of parents, and want to indicate which parents are the birth parents or which parents are the step-parents, for example.
To indicate the child’s relationship to each parent:
1. Open Family View to the parent of the child, so the child is in the Children field.
Tip: Link children to their parents
2. Click on the child to select the child.
3. From the People menu, select Other Parents. The Parents of dialog box will open. The top field lists all sets of parents associated with a child.
Note: The Other Parents menu will be grayed out if you do not remember to move the chosen individual into the child position in Family View, and then click in the field to select the name, as directed in Step 1. The child cannot be in the Husband or Wife field.
4. From the Parent of dialog box, click on a set of parents.
5. Click the drop-down arrow next to the Relationship with father field and select a relationship from the drop-down menu (natural, adopted, foster, etc.). The field will change to reflect the type of relationship you have chosen.
6. Click the drop-down arrow next to the Relationship with mother field and select a relationship. The field will change to reflect the type of relationship you have chosen.
7. Press OK when you have completed your selection, or select another set of parents to make additional changes. Or, press Cancel if you do not want to save your changes.
Source: FTM Technical Knowledge Database
The War of 1812...
Searching for your
Ancestor's War Records
Ottawa Branch News
1970 - 2008
Ontario Genealogical Society
Renfrew County United Churches, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian, Baptisms, Marriages 1841-1899
The Ottawa Citizen
Birth, Marriage, Death Notices 1879-1885
Surviving 1851 Census
Returns of Ireland
Loyalist Refugees 1776-1784
[ to Canada ]
Names of Emigrants,
From 1845-47 Records of
[ most from Ireland ]
Tracing Your Kent Ancestors, Guide for Family Historians
[ England ]
Tracing Your Leeds Ancestors, Guide for Family Historians
[ England ]
Births, Marriages & Deaths
Carp Review, 1905-1950
[Carleton County, Ontario, Canada]